Owl Farm aims to produce 175,000 kg milksolids annually from 405 cows on a milking platform of 144 hectares. We purchase in 160 t dry matter (DM) palm kernel and 80 t DM grass silage along with 10,000L molasses for colostrum cows. We normally harvest 50-60 ha of grass silage and 3-5 ha of hay each year and grow 11 ha of summer crops. As a DairyNZ System 2 farm, approximately 10-15% of total feed imported is used to support early calving and summer dry periods.
- 15 t dry matter (DM) of pasture and crop harvested per hectare
850 kg milksolids per hectare produced by 31st December each year
- Each cow producing the equivalent of 90% of her liveweight in kg milksolids (MS)
- Producing 1 kg MS from every 13 kg DM eaten
- 90% of all milk provided is of the highest quality
- Cows are in the top 5% of NZ herds for genetic quality