As a demonstration farm under public scrutiny, animal well-being is a high priority at Owl Farm. We have a number of different strategies in place to ensure our animals are being looked after properly.
- Less than 15% involuntary culls (includes empty cows, those culled due to health reasons, or who die)
- All cows are mated with a clear breeding objective to provide a valuable calf reared past 4 days of age
- Replacement rate of heifers entering the herd is 21% of the total herd number each year
- All calves receive adequate colostrum within their first 24 hours, as shown through blood protein samples
- Cows’ welfare needs are met through provision of shade and shelter, and medical attention when necessary
- Cows’ body condition score is monitored four times throughout the year, with no cow below BCS 3.5
- Annual tail score audit is carried out to ensure change in status remains less than 2%