As a Demonstration Farm, Owl Farm is particularly focused on the environment, as we strive to demonstrate the best practices to ensure dairy farming is sustainable for our natural resources and community. Read how we do this below.
- Biological greenhouse gas emissions (nitrous oxide and methane as carbon dioxide equivalents) trending down
- Modelled nitrogen loss trending down
- Total greenhouse gas emissions per hectare trending down
- Nitrogen Leaching Loss Rate (NLLR) trending down
- Purchased nitrogen surplus per hectare below 75th percentile of Fonterra suppliers in district
- Phosphorus loss from root zone of less than 0.5 kg/ha (as modelled in Overseer)
- Adequate soil chemical, biological and physical health
- Less than 55 L/cow/day water use at the shed
- Actions completed in our Farm Environment Plan
Owl Farm has over 8 hectares of land from which stock is excluded, along with a kahikatea stand and numerous plantings between the cycleway and the river. These diverse areas offer habitat for all sorts of creatures.