Owl Farm is a 160-hectare dairy farm between the St Peter’s School Cambridge campus and the Waikato River.
The farm was always an integral part of the school and supplied its kitchens with produce for many years, while also giving the students opportunities for learning farming skills.
In 2015, a joint venture between the school and Lincoln University, and with funding partners Ballance, DairyNZ, Fonterra, PGG Wrightson Seeds and Westpac, created Owl Farm as one of three demonstration farms in New Zealand – the only such farm in the North Island.
The name is derived from the school’s motto: the owl signifying wisdom.
Watch our journey to date as a demonstration farm on Rural Delivery.
History of St Peter’s Farm
Since the school was built, the St Peter’s School Farm has been an integral part of its operations.
Initially, it meant that the school was self-sufficient in terms of meat, vegetables and fruit. The milk
from a herd of 35 cows supplied the needs of the school, as did the eggs from 250 hens. In
September 1938 a further 68 acres was purchased from the estate of James Taylor, making a total
of 277 acres.